1. Minimum capital requirements for new banks and promoters contributionThis report in The Mint summarizes the key aspects of the discussion paper. RBI has sought comments on the discussion paper by September 30, 2010.
2. Minimum and maximum caps on promoter shareholding and other shareholders
3. Foreign shareholding in the new banks
4. Whether industrial and business houses could be allowed to promote banks
5. Should Non-Banking Financial Companies be allowed conversion into banks or to promote a bank
6. Business model for the new banks.
Thursday, August 12, 2010
Entry of New Private Sector Banks
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has released a discussion paper on “Entry of New Banks in the Private Sector”, which paves the way for granting new banking licences. The discussion paper compares India’s position with international experience and then suggests possible approaches (listing both pros and cons) for the way forward. This analysis has been carried out along the following: